This one gave me a bit of trouble. I worked on this painting in the evening, and was feeling pretty good about it. Then, when I saw it again in the morning, I didn’t like it as much. The contrast between the background and the lemons was not right, and the shadows looked muddy and unresolved. Also, I didn’t like the way the back of the table was intersecting with the lemon on the right. So I worked on it again this morning, and am feeling a lot better about it.
This is the result of day 2. I lowered the horizon line of the table. Darkened the background and the cloth overall, and clarified the shadows of the lemons. Below is a time lapse video of my painting process. It shows in the beginning how I tried several times to get the composition right. My camera died in the middle of the first session, so there is a big jump ahead in the middle.
8×10 oil on hardboard